Replacement i-cards

It costs $20 to replace an i-card that is lost, stolen, or damaged. However, if your most recent i-card is defective, worn, or outdated, you may trade it for a new one at no charge. ID Center staff determine whether a card is damaged, worn, or defective.

Most campus accounts and services—such as meal plans and door access—will work on your new card within a few hours. Student i-cards linked to PNC Bank accounts will be relinked overnight. You can also relink your new card yourself using PNC's Online Banking or at a nearby branch and use it in about 10 minutes.

Reporting a lost or stolen card

Report a missing card right away! And if your i-card was linked to your PNC Bank account, unlink it too.

When you report a loss or theft, your card is deactivated forever so that no one can misuse it. This helps protect you and the campus community. Unlinking your missing card helps protect your bank account.

To report a lost or stolen card, phone a campus ID Center. After hours, contact campus Police.

Chicago Phone Numbers

Springfield Phone Numbers

Urbana Phone Numbers

Back to top

Changing your legal name on your ID card

If your legal name isn't accurate on your ID, correct it first in University (Banner system) records, then visit a campus ID Center.


  1. Update your student record as instructed by your campus's Registrar.
  2. Bring these items to your campus ID Center:
    • Your current University ID card (to be exchanged)
    • Another proof of identity that bears your legal name

Faculty, staff, Extra Help, and retirees

  1. Use NESSIE to update your name, referring to the "Personal Info" tab resources. If you need help, contact Human Resources.
  2. Contact a campus ID Center to confirm your changes have been saved to your Banner record.
  3. Bring your current ID and a proof of identity that bears your legal name to a campus ID Center.


Contact a campus ID Center to ask how to proceed.

Back to top

Expiration notices

In the month that your University ID expires, you may receive an email alerting you to replace it. If you have questions, contact your campus ID Center.

Back to top