Get an i‑card (revised)

Your first i‑card is free, and you can get it whenever you need it. You may trade your defective or worn card for a new one free. The exchange is also free if you changed your legal name. However, it costs $20 to replace your card when it is lost, stolen, or damaged. Keep this in mind: if you don't need an i‑card you don't have to get one.


Students who will attend classes on a campus have two options:

  • Visit an ID Center and bring a valid photo ID. You can get your i‑card during registration or orientation.

  • Submit your photo online. If your photo’s accepted, your i-card is pre-printed, and you can pick it up when you arrive on campus.

Online students may also be eligible for i cards. Contact an ID Center to learn more.

Faculty and staff

Proceed as follows, based on your hiring organization:

  • Employees of the universities or System units: confirm with Human Resources that your position is active in Banner, then visit an ID Center. Bring a photo ID that meets ID requirements.

  • Employees of the University of Illinois Hospital and Health Sciences System: bring a photo ID that meets ID requirements to your UI Health employee intake session.


Many University of Illinois retirees qualify for a Retired Faculty and Staff i‑card. Card services for retirees are often similar to those available to current employees. Contact your ID Center for more information.

ID Center locations

Chicago, Springfield and Urbana all host ID Centers.