Changing your preferred name
Students who would like to use a first name other than their legal name within the campus community can set a
preferred first name using
After you set your preferred name, you may visit an ID Center to trade in your current University of Illinois ID for a new one.
Your last name and preferred first name will print on the front of your card.
Changing your legal name
If your legal name isn't accurate on your University of Illinois ID,
correct it first with the appropriate records office, then visit an ID Center.
- Update your name on your student record at the registrar's office:
- Bring these items to an ID Center:
- Your current University of Illinois ID (to be exchanged)
- Another proof of identity that bears your legal name
Faculty, staff, Extra Help, and retirees
- Use NESSIE to change your name, referring to the "Personal Info" tab resources.
If you need help, contact Human Resources.
- Contact an ID Center to confirm your name change is updated in Banner.
- Bring your current University of Illinois ID and a proof of identity that bears your legal name
to an ID Center.
Contact an ID Center to ask how to proceed.